Maine Lobster Tail Recipe with Garlic Lemon Butter
Prep time:15 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 30 mins
Author:Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com
Skill Level: Easy/Medium
Serving: 4 lobster tails
This is the only Lobster tails recipe you’ll ever need and it’s surprisingly easy! The broiled lobster meat is crazy tender, juicy and each bite is tantalizingly flavorful, especially after dipping into the warm garlic lemon butter. Dunk it in, take it for a swim, watch the excess drip off your fork and enjoy.
I honestly think this is the best thing I’ve ever cooked. THIS is the way you should eat lobster.
Make broiled lobster tails at home for Valentine’s Day or any special occasion and you’ll pay less than half of what you’d drop in a nice restaurant and GET THIS: it totally tastes gourmet! The garlic and dijon sauce was inspired by my wildly popular baked salmon and everyone who tries it loves it.
P.S. I included step-by-step photo instructions on how to prepare and butterfly lobster tails so you can make the most impressive posh-looking lobster tails like a boss :).
Ingredients for Lobster Tails Recipe:
4 lobster tails (5 to 6 oz each)
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, very finely chopped, plus more for garnish
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
How to Prepare/Butterfly Lobster Tails:
1. Use kitchen scissors to cut through the top shell of the lobster tail, stopping at the base of the tail and snipping through the top portion of the meat as you go.
2. Flip the tail over to the back sea-through side of the tail and crack the ribs in the center. This will help open the shell.
3. Open the shell using your thumbs and fingers and loosen the meat from the shell (remove vein if present). Work carefully – shells can be sharp! Lift the meat from the shell, keeping it attached at the base. Press the shell together and set the lobster meat over the top. The bulk of the lobster meat should be sitting over the top of the shell.
How to Make Broiled Lobster Tails:
1. Place rack in center of oven so when you bake, the meaty tops of your lobster tails will be at least 6 inches from the top heating elements. Preheat oven to broil.
2. In a small bowl, add the marinade ingredients: 1 Tbsp parsley, 2 pressed garlic cloves, 1 tsp dijon, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice. Stir to combine.
3. Broil lobster tails 10-11 minutes (or according to the lobster tail size – see chart below). When done, lobster meat should be opaque and white in the center and register 145˚F on an instant read thermometer. Transfer lobster tails to a serving platter and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
4. To make the Garlic Lemon Butter: drain drippings from the roasting pan into a small saucepan and combine with remaining 2 Tbsp butter, bring to a simmer and remove from heat. Pour over lobster tails or divide into small ramekins and use as dipping sauce.
Broiling Times for Lobster Tails:
Smaller (3 to 4 oz) lobsters 6 to 8 minutes
Medium (5 to 6 oz) lobsters 10-11 minutes
Larger (7 to 9 oz) lobsters 12-15 minutes (with rack in middle of oven)
Broil lobster meat until opaque and white in the center, or 145˚F.